Our network

14 confirmed ill after sealant is used in Manteca elementary school | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

14 confirmed ill after sealant is used in Manteca elementary school
News


 

The Manteca Fire Department has confirmed 13 students and one adult have complained of getting sick after a rubber sealant spray was used by a maintenance worker at Joshua Cowell Elementary School in Manteca.

The sealant, which is commonly used for cracks in doors and windows, was used on a HVAC system, according to fire officials. When the the HVAC system was turned on, the fumes spread into the classroom.

Four were transported to a hospital, and 10 were released to their parents or guardians.

The Manteca Unified School District made the following statement:

"Student safety is always our number one priority. A smell was reported in a classroom. The school responded by moving students to another room. Emergency services were called to investigate and five students were removed for further observation."

 

 


News