Our network

Suspect shot, killed by Stockton police; investigation underway | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Suspect shot, killed by Stockton police; investigation underway
Suspect shot, killed by Stockton police; investigation underway

The Stockton Police Department said a man who broke into a Stockton group home Tuesday afternoon was shot and killed by officers.

PAtrick Wetter, was described by police as a 25-year-old documented gang member. He was recently arrested twice for possessing a bladed weapon and resisting arrest.

Officer Joe Silva said the department was called at 3:41 p.m. regarding a man who appeared to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs in front of a residence in the 800 block of Howard Street, just west of Interstate 5.

The man then kicked in the front door of the residence and went inside. The residents barricaded themselves inside the bedroom.

Silva said the suspect was inside the group home when two officers with a K9 arrived at the scene. Officers ordered the suspect to stop and surrender and when he did not comply they deployed the K9.

The suspect produced a knife and stabbed the K9 in the shoulder. He then raised the knife over his head in a threatening manner toward the two officers according to Silva.

The officers fired their guns striking the suspect several times, Silva said. When he fell down to the ground, he was still holding the knife in his hand. Another officer then deployed a taser striking the suspect.

He was handcuffed and officers administered first aid and CPR, Silva said. Medics arrived and took over and then pronounced the suspect dead at the scene.

"Officers, not only fearing for themselves, for their K9 dog, but also for the people inside the residence, fired their weapons," Silva said. "There were multiple shots that were fired, striking the suspect," Silva said.

Police said the K9 that was stabbed, a 6-year-old Dutch Shepherd named Rocky, was taken to a Sacramento veterinarian, who determined surgery was not needed. The dog will be kept overnight for observation and further treatment. Police said the K9 has been working on the streets for five years.

No officers and no group home resident were injured during the incident.

The shooting is under investigation by the department.