The Manteca Fire Department has confirmed 13 students and one adult have complained of getting sick after a rubber sealant spray was used by a maintenance worker at Joshua Cowell Elementary School in Manteca.
The sealant, which is commonly used for cracks in doors and windows, was used on a HVAC system, according to fire officials. When the the HVAC system was turned on, the fumes spread into the classroom.
Four were transported to a hospital, and 10 were released to their parents or guardians.
The Manteca Unified School District made the following statement:
"Student safety is always our number one priority. A smell was reported in a classroom. The school responded by moving students to another room. Emergency services were called to investigate and five students were removed for further observation."